Valentine’s Day is just around this corner. Here’s a cozy/goth way to celebrate: make you’re beloved some black valentine soup with our heirloom black valentine beans!
This one is about as easy as it gets. We’ve got an olive oil and chopped onion finish going here, but this would also go great with a cilantro sprinkle and a side of quesadillas.
6 – 8 servings
½ lb. dried black beans
1 cup chopped onion (1/2 a medium onion)
½ cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
½ cup chopped carrots (2 medium carrots)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
¼ tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
4 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
- Soak the beans for 6-8 hours or cover with water, bring to a boil, turn off heat and let sit for one hour.
- Drain beans and return to pot. Add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for three hours.
- When slightly cool, puree in a food processor or blender.
- Optional perfectionist step: pass through a sieve
- When ready to serve, reheat but do not boil
- Garnish with finely chopped onions and a nice drizzle of olive oil